Creating high-quality, innovative, ergonomic hardware tools that increase productivity and decrease injury, lost labor, and overall discomfort – boosting stamina and reducing injury in the workplace.
Implementing ergonomics into the workplace and changing the dynamics of manual labor. Ultimately, Bosse Tools will set the standard for hardware tools in the future.
For hundreds of years, shovels have been handled essentially the same way. For back’s sake, it’s about time that changed. At Bosse Tools we’ve introduced a better way to handle tools by incorporating ergonomic design into hard working implements, starting with the humble shovel. Industrial, age-old design has met ergonomic innovation. By re-thinking traditional hardware tools, we have reinvented a tool shed staple.
- August 2011
- Idea is born while Stephen is doing yard work in his parents backyard, sore from using standard tools.
- January 2012
- Functional prototypes built from PVC pipe. Files provisional patent before sharing the idea with the public.
- March 2012
- Wins Loyola Marymount business plan competition with new prototype and begins to get attention nationwide.
- May 2012
- Officially forms Bosse Tools LLC and realizes the designs can be built into an entire product line of tools.
- January 2013
- Files for US and international patents. Titled " Ergonomically designed multi-handled tool" No. 8740272
- Spring 2013
- Wins SDSU business plan competition. Competes in Chapman, Harvard, and Manitoba competitions.
- June 2013
- Tests prototypes with farmers, gardeners, landscapers and construction workers - feedback is very positive.
- October 2013
- Runs a successful Kickstarter campaign, raising over $64,000 from 483 different supporters worldwide.
- June 2014
- Receives two United States patents, forty international patents, and key trademarks such as "Handle-It".
- September 2014
- Final prototypes are tested and approved for strength. Tooling and manufacturing process begins.
- Round point shovel
- Achieve greater power and control with the Bosse Round Point Shovel. Suitable for any worksite, home, or garden.
- Flat head shovel
- Greater control meets ease of use with the Bosse Flat Head Shovel. Level surfaces or transfer loads more efficiently.
- Snow/Scoop shovel
- Move large loads and clear areas quicker with the Bosse Scoop Shovel. Suitable for snow, grain, and debris.
- Main Features
- Grip Material
- over-molded ASA (UV resistant) plastic
- Center Handle Material
- die cast aluminum
- Shaft Material
- 1.25" fiberglass
- Locking Mechanism
- locks at 22.5o intervals (total of 16 positions)
- Length: 50"
- Weight: 5.5lbs
- Stephen Walden, Founder- Stephen has an MBA in Finance from Loyola Marymount University's Hilton School of Business. He enjoys hiking, the outdoors and baseball. He also has a degree in Entrepreneurship and Theological Studies from LMU. Born and raised in Phoenix, AZ, Stephen attended Brophy College Preparatory and is proud to be an Eagle Scout.
- Aaron Gagleard, Co-Founder- Aaron has a BA in Business Administration from Arizona State University's WP Carey School of Business. He enjoys golfing and watching Detroit sports. He also is a Class-A PGA Golf Professional after completing ASU's Professional Golf Management Program. Born and raised in Scottsdale, AZ, Aaron attended Brophy College Preparatory. He is proud to have launched his first company, The Swing Setup, at age 22.
Advisors – Our advisory team of entrepreneurial and industry experts, continues to shape how we handle tools and business.
- Ken Cook- President, McKenzie Farms
- Bob Jacobson- Retail Executive
- Jerry Halamuda- President, Color Spot Nurseries
- Fred Kiesner- Former Dept. Chair of Loyola Marymount University Entrepreneurship Studies
- Extended range of motion- The unique configuration of a Bosse Tool handle enables a greater range of motion than traditional handles extending functional use through your entire wingspan.
- Rotating center handle- The Bosse center grip with rotating and locking handle easily accommodates for different applications, making for a more functional and comfortable experience.
- Improved work posture- With a Bosse handle you are more upright allowing for longer work periods and more energy applied directly to the job, ultimately reducing stress on your lower back.
- “10 Best Things”- 2014 Popular Science Magazine
- “ A second rotating handle provides better leverage, taking stress off the wrists and back”- 2014 Popular Science Magazine
- “ A Literal Twist on the Design of the Common Shovel”- Fast Company Design
- “ The need for this is so obvious”- CNC Kingdom
- “Digging holes just got a bit easier with this nex-gen shovel from Bosse Tools”- CNC Kingdom
- “…It will definitely help get work done more efficiently and I can proudly buy a product that will reduce strain on my workers”- Will Terry of Terry Berries
- Email- Media@bossetools.com
- Address- 6815 North 2nd Street – Phoenix, Arizona 85012
- Web- bossetools.com
- Email Aaron- Aaron@bossetools.com
- Email Stephen- Stephen@bossetools.com
- Link to media- Press Page
Question and answers with CEO, Stephen Walden
Can you share what Bosse Tools is?
Bosse Tools is an ergonomic hardware tool company. We are working hard to combine traditional hardware tools and ergonomics – the idea is to reduce the amount of injury in the workplace, whether it be on a construction site, farm, or in your own backyard. Simply put, hundreds of thousands of Americans are injured from using traditional tools, like shovels, every year. At Bosse tools, we decided that we can create a solution to this problem, and that’s why it is our goal to reinvent these tools that have been the same for so many years
How did you get from “idea” to design these tools?
The short answer is that I’m no stranger to the shovel, and after working for my parents a few summers ago (with my mom in her community garden and with my dad at his properties in Phoenix) – I decided that I might have thought of a ‘better mousetrap.’ It shouldn’t be normal to wake up sore every day after using these tools, so why not come up with a way to make them easier to use. I was using other tools as well, with perpendicular handles, like hedge trimmers and weed whackers, when I realized that this handle configuration can be used on a simple shovel.
The long answer is that I took this idea to my entrepreneurship class at Loyola Marymount University – and as a senior, I ended up winning the school competition for “new venture creation.” What started as a class project (stemming from the idea in the story above), I realized I had a viable product that would benefit people in many areas. I began researching shovels and ergonomics, and realized there was a need for some innovation. Beyond this, I realized that I can implement this idea into an entire line of tools, so I started Bosse Tools – the ergonomic tool company.
What makes a shovel ergonomic?
An ergonomic tool allows your body to take more natural positions while working. You tend to pronate your wrists when you use a regular shovel. If you are right-handed, your right hand would pronate out with your palm down and your left hand would pronate in with your palm up. But an ergonomic shovel removes the pronation and puts your hands back in a natural position. Additionally, a lot of ergonomic principles lie in posture. Traditional shovels force your shoulders out of alignment, thus, putting strain on your back one direction or the other. By allowing you to hold the tool properly, your shoulders stay aligned, and as a result, your posture is vastly improved.
Explain the "Revolutionary Rotating Center Handle"
The center handle rotates, allowing you to customize your hand position for any job or task. Imagine shoveling snow out of a driveway or filling a wheelbarrow with dirt. By angling the handle towards the place where you will pitch the snow or dirt, you can do your job in one single motion - dig, scoop, and pitch - all in one.
As a product innovator, what is the biggest thing you’ve learned so far with developing a new invention?
The biggest thing it to learn from everyone, literally everyone. No matter who you are talking to, so many people hold a wealth of knowledge that you have to tap into. Product innovators can get frustrated because there is no road map or guideline on how to develop their ideas - and that is because you are building something which is a "first of its kind." But when you realize other people's input and opinions are really guiding you to that perfect prototype, then all of a sudden everyone you meet becomes free information that shapes your success.
Do you have any words of wisdom for other aspiring young entrepreneurs?
Three words of wisdom that will ensure success: "Go" and "Don't sleep." First, I tell young entrepreneurs to "go" because so many people have good ideas, but they don't do anything with them, and that's frustrating. Get your ideas out there. Keep going, keep going, keep going. And second, I say "don't sleep" because if you are truly passionate about your ideas, you won't be able to sleep. They will keep you up at night. A true aspiring entrepreneur wants to spend every waking second playing with their ideas, because that is what it takes to succeed - no successful person will ever say, "wow, I wish I slept more during college." We have 24 hours every day, might as well use them all.
Anything else you’d like to share?
Remember those people that helped you get where you are and always have faith. Nobody gets to where they are on their own. There are mentors, counselors, friends, and other inspirational people that shaped you and your ideas. Make sure to thank them for making you awesome - (start with your parents!) And have faith - whether through prayer or just thinking really hard about your struggles, there is a solution out there. Many times, if we play our cards right, those solutions come right to us.